Saturday, June 27, 2015

3 Things I Learned In my Storm!

During the time after my divorce when God was healing my wounded soul, the three lessons I walked away with were powerful. It's hard to imagine when going through our storms for us to see the bigger picture and the reason for the testing of our faith. Romans 8:28 states, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose." I've made it my goal to accept the tough challenges in life as a blessing because I have discovered our pain stretches us and points us to God. If we seek him wholeheartedly, we will find him. "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock; if any one hears and listens to and heeds my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will eat with him, and he will eat with me", (Revelation 3:20). 

1. Acceptance of Self
Loving ourselves and accepting our flaws is vital to our future. We can't expect to press forward and still be looking in the rear view mirror. Our past is just that, our PAST! We are not perfect and we all make mistakes. I believe it's what we do with the knowledge we gain from those mistakes which help shape our future. Remember, we can't change our past but we can certainly change our future. 
  • Psalm 139:14, "I will praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
  • Isaiah 61:3, "and provide for those who grieve in Zion, to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called mighty oaks, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor." 
2. Trust
When things are going great, life is full of smiles and giggles we easily admit and profess, we trust God. As soon as our circumstances go south and we can't see a shimmer of sun in the tough times we doubt. Why, because we discover during the hard times where we've actually placed our happiness which is in the things of this life, NOT JESUS! True happiness, peace, fulfillment, self-worth, and value are found in him. People and things of this world will fade but the things found in God are eternal. 
  • Psalm 3:5, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him and he will make your paths straight."
  • Proverbs 23:4-5, "Do not wear yourself out to get rich; do not trust your own cleverness. Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surly sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle." 
3. Purpose
We all have been given a certain destiny in this life and God knows the plans and purpose for each of us. Nothing catches God by surprise and he knows our end from the beginning. If we allow the enemy, which is the father of lies to consume our thoughts and condemn us, Gods purpose for our lives becomes less visible.
  • Romans 8:1-2, "Therefore, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death." 
  • Exodus 9:16, "But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I  might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth. 
We serve a God that is faithful and sovereign. He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. He never changes and with him our lives have purpose and our identity is found in him. The three lessons I learned from my storm were valuable because I had to restore my soul and accept myself and experience his unconditional love in ways I'd never imagined. His grace has filled me and allowed me to pour into the lives of my son and husband. By no means is our life perfect, however our blended life is richer because of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment